Monday, January 13, 2014

Golden Globes 2014 Fashion Review

I have always enjoyed award shows for the Red Carpet Fashion (OK lets be honest- I usually like the fashion more than the show itself!), and this year will be no exception. I watched the Golden Globes last night while texting my friends Courtney and Sarah and knew that I had to do a blog post about it. So here goes the first of many awards season posts!

I will start with my worst dressed of the night.

10. Lena Dunham in Zac Posen
This is one of the best she has worn, but it still isn't great. I don't HATE the color on her, and she clearly feels great in it, but it just doesn't fit her as well as I would like. The bust is all wrong, its too tight in the wrong places, and the bottom could use a good steam. Her hair and makeup are a great improvement though, I'll give her that!


9. Drew Barrymore in Monique Lhullier

Drew Barrymore looks beautiful. She is absolutely glowing. Pregnancy looks great on her. But her dress looks like a shower curtain from the kid's department at Target. I just don't like it. I guess the whimsical print suits her personality, but I would have liked to see her in something that showed off her belly more!


8. Sandra Bullock in Prabal Gurung
I'm so sorry for putting you on this list Sandra. Please don't hate me! But really though-what made you pick this 80's prom monstrosity? It is SO bad Sandy!!! I love the top and even the cut of the dress, and especially the pink on top. If you had left off the blue, it would have been a hit. But I just cant abide by it. Sorry Sandy. I still love you though!


7. Edie Falco in Lanvin
Edie looks like she is wearing a Christmas gift bag with the bow and the NO SHAPE WHAT-SO-EVER. I just cant. If this had been a little more fitted, I might have liked it. The color is GREAT on her. But she just needs more structure on her body.


6. Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera
Let's start with the hair. It is not working for her. I don't get it. Her hair is normally so much better than this!! And a dress with Flamingos? I don't get it either. The dress she wore for the opening was SO much better than this. Yet another dress that looks like a kid's shower curtain!


 5. Sarah Hyland in Georges Hobeika
The milkmaid hairdo was cool a few years ago. Not so much anymore. The dress is just not working for her either. The back is pretty, but I'm not feeling the drop waist. Her eyebrows are a little too over-drawn and she needs just a teeny bit of a darker lip. The fresh face look is great on her, but the combo with the color of the dress just washes her out. 


 4. Zoe Saldana in Prabal Gurung
I applaud her for doing something different. Her body is AMAZING. I will give her that. But the fabric looks like curtains. I hate it. SO much. But her hair and makeup are pretty. So at least there's that.


 3. Paula Patton in Stephane Rolland
Too tight. Too short. Too ruffly. That's all. Color is pretty on her but I don't like the matching shoe.


2. Aubrey Plaza in Oscar de la Renta
What the...? Is this prom night? YUCK. The top needs more structure for sure and she needs some more bling or something to make this look work. The shoes are cool though.


1. Heidi Klum in Marchesa
I cannot say a single good thing about this look. The dress is bad. The necklace is worse. The hair is blah. And good Lord why did she walk out looking like she had on no makeup? This is SOOOOO BADDDDDDDD.


And now to cleanse my palate, the BEST dressed from last night!


10. Kate Beckinsale in Zuhair Murad 
I think she looks so stunning in this dress. Her body is sick and the dress is a show stopper for sure!

9. Sofia Vergara in Zac Posen
I am SO happy to see her in something other than a mermaid. Yeah, that shape works for her, but this is great too! So dramatic and elegant and the turquoise necklace seriously makes this dress! 

8. Allison Williams in Alexander McQueen
This is so different. I love the column shape of the dress, and I love the color and the stripes! Her hair is the only "slicked back" of the night that I liked, and her makeup is flawless. This girl is a star!

7. Julianna Margulies in Andrew Gn
The only thing that would have made this better would be if the print was coral-like if it was floral. I don't know why I don't love it, but I don't. But the dress itself is stunning and she looks INCREDIBLE.

6. Leslie Mann in Dolce and Gabanna
Holy smokin. She looks so hot-her body is perfect! I love the lace and the peplum and I don't think she could have done any better. 

5. Emma Roberts in Lanvin
She is so stunning! This dress is a showstopper, and her body is great! And the turquoise earrings (a big trend of the night) take it to the next level. She looks so great. 

4. Olivia Wilde in Gucci
Preggo done right! She looks SEXY-and how often do you say that about a pregnant chick? The color is great on her. Her hair and makeup are PERFECT. She just looks so great!!!

3. Lupita Nyong'o in Ralph Lauren
Well I've never seen this girl before but I will be looking out for her from now on. This was a serious statement dress. The color is so great on her and I just cant handle it. It DOES bear resemblance to Gwyneth's Oscar dress from 2012, but it is different enough that I'll forgive it. I mean, the girl wore a cape. I just cant...she is amazing. 

2. Emma Watson in Dior
How unexpected is this look for the Globes? It is so fashiony and edgy and I LOVE it. She is a fashion queen anyway, but she really looked great. Her hair and makeup were so elegant too-I love the little whispies in front of her ears! She is just so pretty!

1. Cate Blachette in Armani 
As my friend Sarah so eloquently put it, "Everyone sit down. The master has arrived." And seriously? Does it get any more perfect than this? The dress, the hair, the makeup, the jewels. Oh lawd the back. She's the reining queen. I dare anyone to dethrone her. No but really. I would love to see the fashion that comes out of that!


Who were your best and worst dressed from last night? Come back next Monday for my review from the SAG Awards!


*all pictures came from e! online-they are not mine and I do not take credit for them!

1 comment:

  1. I never even include Heidi anymore because she is just always so "meh." For a former model, I cannot believe how often she gets it wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...